Creamy Broccoli Soup with Crispy Shallots
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- ½ large onion, chopped
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk (or other nut milk)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons paleo baking flour (arrowroot starch or gluten-free flour will also work)
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the shallots:
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- In a large Dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and sauté until softened, about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add flour, stir and cook for another minute.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add broccoli, cumin, thyme, nutmeg, salt and pepper and cook covered under low-medium heat for about 35 – 40 minutes or until broccoli is soft.
- Remove from heat and ladle into a blender (alternatively, use an immersion blender to puree after adding almond milk).
- Add almond milk and blend until smooth.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Garnish with crispy shallots and serve hot.
For crispy shallots:
- Heat olive oil in small pan, add shallots and cook for 3 – 5 minutes overmedium-high heat until golden brown and crispy, careful not to burn.
- Remove shallots from the pan and place onto a paper towel to drain.